A Brief History of Arts Center East
The Arts Center East building was constructed in 1927 in the popular Colonial Revival style. It served as the County Home School for the children residing in an orphanage located where the police station on Route 30 stands today.
When the orphanage closed, the school building continued to serve the community, first as the Vernon Elementary School and later as the Vernon Kindergarten. It closed as a kindergarten in the 1970’s and was used for storage and office space by the Board of Education. By the turn of the new century, it had fallen into disrepair.
In July 2010, through the efforts of a committee of town residents, Vernon received a state grant for $1.7 million to fund a renovation of the historic building. In June 2012, it was reincarnated as an arts center.